The first and most important step for energy saving and increasing energy efficiency in the company is related to knowing the existing consumption. What you can not measure, one can not improve!
Smart metering is the modern solution to monitor power consumption by recording and transmitting consumption data remotely at a preset frequency and also memorizing consumer information and other parameters for a long time.
Various studies show that the average saving achieved by economic operators through smart metering of energy consumed can be up to 30%, with an average saving of 12%.
Smart metering consists of the installation of remote consumption monitoring meters and brings a great advantage, especially since all smart meters are capable of transmitting instant data, which allows for a better management of tariff plans.
When it comes to energy efficiency issues, it is possible, not only to reduce costs but also to make energy balance calculations and detect unmeasured loads and measurement errors. Another benefit is the fact that energy losses can be detected, including losses that may indicate a future malfunction.
Based on consumption monitoring using smart meters, consumption estimates can be made, as well as energy consumption reductions.
By implementing a complete energy management solutions, both energy cost reduction and energy efficiency improvements can be achieved in various aspects, such as:
- Improving energy efficiency in industrial plants by allocating energy consumption and costs for each task
- Easy computation of energy balance calculations and setting up of alerts to detect unmeasured loads, measurement errors, and efficiency as well as the condition of the power supply transformers
- Detection of energy losses, useful both for energy saving and for preventive maintenance
- Preventing consumption peaks and reducing the power factor for overtax
- Calculation of the baseline energy consumption, normalized to operating and environmental conditions (such as temperature or workload) to allow for the correct implementation of energy saving measures and high energy efficiency equipment
Installing smart meters is useful for all companies which want to achieve energy efficiency and, most importantly, monitor consumption levels to ensure that they stay within the set limits. For this purpose, there is hardware and software for remote monitoring.
By smart metering, it is also intended, under the 2020 Directive, for the Member States of the European Union to ensure the implementation of smart metering systems that contribute to the active participation of consumers in the electricity supply market.